Get Funding and Support
At New Profit, we hold at the center of our mission the goal of advancing equity and opportunity in America. This goal informs both our investment selection process and the investment model through which we support our grantees. If you are interested in learning more about our funding and support models, please explore our Fund & Build page.
We approach our investment process with deep curiosity and a focus on building relationships and mutual understanding to identify the most promising social entrepreneurs with the potential for impact at scale. Our investment selection process below outlines steps to take if you are interested in pursuing a funding partnership with New Profit.
Organizations that are interested in receiving funding and support from New Profit are encouraged to review our investment eligibility guidelines. If your organization meets our eligibility guidelines, we invite you to fill out our “Discovery Form” or contact the Investment Selection team with questions regarding the New Profit investment selection process using the link below.
Despite being exceptional organizations, many candidate organizations do not fall within our portfolio’s strategic parameters. New Profit is currently committed to improving social mobility in the United States by supporting organizations with demonstrated, impressive track records of performance, strong appetites for growth, and high potential for social impact. For each investment cycle, New Profit typically prioritizes organizations that:
- Address the following issues related to social mobility: education, workforce development, public health, poverty alleviation criminal justice, and/or civic engagement.
- Aspire to national impact either through directly scaling their work (and are currently serving in at least two U.S. cities) and/or other indirect strategies (e.g. technology, partnership, advocacy, etc.)
- Operate and primarily serve individuals located in the United States.
- Have independent 501(c)(3) status.
- Have a current annual expense budget ranging from $1M-$15M if applying for a Build Investment or $250K+ if applying for a Catalyze Investment.
- Are led by full-time CEOs.
- Have a diversified revenue mix (i.e., organizations cannot have 50 percent or more of revenues from one philanthropic donor).
New Profit invites organizations that meet our eligibility guidelines and investment selection criteria to become members of our pipeline. We pride ourselves on being collaborators and building partnerships with others in the field, so relationship building with organizations is an important part of what we do. To that end, our pipeline is a community of social entrepreneurs who participate in convenings and conversations through which they become a part of the New Profit ecosystem, and are considered for investment as relevant cycles come up.
Depending on our evolving strategic priorities and funding availability, select pipeline organizations will either be invited to submit a letter of inquiry for a given selection cycle or an open submission cycle will be held. Open cycles will be publicly announced on our website and shared with pipeline organizations.
Organizations selected for Screening and Diligence are assessed against our investment selection criteria using materials from the LOI, interview(s) with the organization’s leadership, and rigorous analysis of each organization’s mission, financials, direct and systemic impact, and growth strategy with an emphasis on relationship-building and mutual understanding.