New Profit Statement on the Supreme Court reversal of Roe v. WadeJune 27, 2022
On Friday, June 24, the Supreme Court of the United States overturned Roe v. Wade, removing the constitutionally-protected right to abortion care and clearing the way for state-level bans and restrictions. New Profit strongly condemns this decision, which will have profound repercussions for people across the country.
We unconditionally support the right of people to decide on issues related to their own reproductive health and wellness.
Access to abortion is a human right with implications not only for reproductive justice, but also for gender, racial, and economic justice. Research shows that the protections of Roe v. Wade have been critical to women’s equal participation in society over the past 50 years; that being denied an abortion leads to poorer health outcomes, lower educational attainment, and greater economic hardship; and that limiting access to abortion is felt most acutely by Black and Latina/x people. Ultimately, the SCOTUS ruling will significantly worsen the racial-, gender-, and economic-based disparities already deeply embedded in our healthcare system.
Yet, we find hope in the growing coalition of individuals, organizations, and corporations responding to the ruling with action, and we stand alongside and in support of those who are working to protect and reinstate reproductive rights for birthing people. If you would like to learn more and support their critical work, please visit these resources:
- Latina/x Reproductive Health Groups (list compiled by Power to Decide)
- Black Reproductive Justice Organizations (list compiled by Power to Decide)
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- Pro Repro: A Playbook for Business to Protect Reproductive Health
- How Companies Can Strengthen Reproductive Health Care
- Abortion Care Network
- Illinois Contraceptive Access Now (ICAN!) [supported by New Profit]
- irth app [a project of Narrative Nation, an org supported by New Profit]